Monday, December 01, 2008

24 Hour Fitness



I work out at 24 Hour Fitness. If you are a stay at home mom and not a member of a gym, any gym, you're crazy (or a better mom than I am). Going to the gym during the day makes me feel good, but it does more that.

Going to the gym with Henry teaches him to interact with other kids his age, because he spends time in the Kids Care, which he likes very much.

Going to the gym levels my emotions. Ever had a bad day and been kind of mean to your kids as a result? Ever felt like you really need a break? Need to get out of the house? All of those emotions are easily leveled by a good cardio workout at the gym.

Too often I hear mothers complain that they just need a break. Or, that their house is too confining in the winter months. I hear mothers who are unhappy about the little things in life, but I think, too often it's because they don't take time to take care of themselves. It's too easy to neglect yourself when you have kids who need your attention.

Going to the gym gives me the opportunity, every day if I want, to do something for myself. Give yourself a treat, go to the gym!

That said... if you don't know where to start, I love 24 Hour Fitness. There are two very close to my house. I love going to the classes, they make my workout intense, fun and motivating (can those words actually fit well together in the same sentence?). I like that I know the sitters and some of the kids in the Kids Care and that Henry actually looks forward to playing with his friends in the Jungle Jim.

Costco has a great deal right now on memberships if you're thinking about joining a gym. I bought mine from Costco last year and have been tremendously pleased. The deal disappears sometime before Christmas - you won't find a better deal out there. It's two years for $289.99 (I called the 24 Hours Fitness at Trolley and they said they would honor this package for current members as well). That adds up to a little more than $12 a month. Upfront, I know it's hard to swallow. But I'm sure your sanity is worth $12 a month. Here's the link.

3 comments:

jamieschip said...

Amen. I could have written your post. My gym membership has saved my sanity many days these past couple months. I saw the 24 hour deal at Costco the other day and just about kicked myself. I paid just about double that for my membership to Gold's. Oh well. It's still worth it to me. Thanks for the post. I love reading about others who are just as excited about working out as I am.

Chrystal Wilcox said...

that is so funny we just got a membership there last week. I was goibng to blog about how awsome it is as well. We sis the costco route and I am telling you it is the best thing ever. I am not sure if I understood the sentence correctly. But I thought I would mention that being healthy and active does make you a good mom. You are not abandoning them you are making you better and that is very important.

Kevin & Lindsay said...

I love the gym....only i am freaked out to leave my 18mo old there, my 3 year old i am fine with, so i have to go at 5am. I like it though. It makes me feel better and sane like you said. Maybe when he is older than i can go at a better hour