Sunday, June 27, 2010

What a fat baby you have!

Amelia 6.5 weeks

Henry 6 weeks

Amelia's existence has thus far been marked by two things - crying to let us know that she wants something and eating to make it all better. Don't get me wrong Amelia doesn't cry more frequently than she should, but she does let us know when something is amiss in her little world; something foreign to me because Henry never cared much about anything. Henry didn't cry once his first two weeks home from the hospital. Henry rarely ate anything and rarely slept without a serious amount of insistence from me. Amelia on the other hand cries when something is wrong, eats voraciously and sleeps in abnormally long stretches (I assume this is because she knows I love to sleep). She's also loves to suck on a binki, something that never even remotely interested Henry.

Amelia's eating habits have become banter among strangers who I meet when we are out and about. People love babies and when you walk around with a baby everyone stops you to coo at the baby. Then the conversation goes something like this:

Them: "How old is your baby?"
Me: "Six weeks."
Them: "Six weeks?!! She is so fat!"

I don't know for certain how much Amelia weighs today, but at her 4 week checkup she was 9.5 lbs, or 2 lbs over birth weight. Henry was born smaller than Amelia, but  he was more than three months old before he weighed 9.5 lbs.

We love our chubby baby Amelia! She's beautiful and perfect in every way. I  am excited to see how her personality today correlates with her childhood personality, if it carries through I imagine I will have a lot of adjusting to figure out how to raise an independent little child with an obvious desire to have her needs known. Though I expect mealtimes should be easier.

1 comment:

leigh said...

chubby babies are the best. mine never get chubby until after they start eating solids. you lucky ducks.