Saturday, February 02, 2008

Shin Splints Suck!

I have had shin splints on my right leg since before Thanksgiving. I have never had shin splints before so at first I had no idea what it was. Joe tried to tell me it was shin splints, but I didn't listen. After chatting with a neighbor who is a runner I finally came to terms with my "injury". Wanting the pain to subside, I went out and got new running shoes, I massaged my leg with ice, I took a week off of running, I started shin exercises, and I ice for more than an hour every day. And, after all of that, what do I have to show for it? New shin splints on my left leg and a ridiculous amount of pain in my right leg.

My 1/2 marathon is still about 5 - 6 weeks away, so I guess I'll take some more time off, but, I hate it. I already feel like I've been loosing my endurance because I've been slowing down so much lately to nurse these silly shin splints. I wish there was a cure, something that would guarantee their demise, other than rest, that is. I wish I never got shin splints. I hate shins.

7 comments:

Doughy said...

Heidi, feel free to blow this off if I sound like a know-it-all..

When I used to run cross country in high school, it seemed like our entire team would go through a time after training for a while where we all felt broken down. Our race times would get worse for a part of the season. The good news is that once you break out of the slump, you'll be race ready. Just keep doing what you can and you'll break out of it.

Try some different forms of exercise like weights, upper body, jump roping, etc... Your upper body and core strength can help you a ton in a long race.

Heidi said...

Thanks for the advice! That's basically what I've been doing, spinning and cardio classes as well as a lot of weight training. I'd really like to get back to running though. Hopefully the slump will end soon.

leigh said...

Also - can't shin splints turn into stress fractures? You would definitely not want that.

Chris and Jen said...

Not being a runner I have no idea the pain you are in currently. Hope it gets better soon and good luck in the race. When is it?
Jen

Katie said...

"I'm Gonna Miss Her" is Zac's theme song because it talks about choosing between a girlfriend and fishing and well he chooses fishing....

nateandalliewilcox said...

Sorry about the pain. I get shin splints, and don't even have the 1/2 marathon to show for it! It really stinks having to slow down when you are so determined to succeed. I can't wait to hear how the race turns out. (You totally motivate me!)

leigh said...

hi - love the new patterned background - very cute!