Friday, August 01, 2008

UPDATES

JOE

Started rotations the first week of July, he is now more than 1/2 way done with his first rotation - internal medicine at IMC Hospital in Murray. His next rotation is Pediatrics which begins in two weeks. He's been busy, extremely busy, but he seems to really enjoy working in the hospital, it is why he went to medical school after all.

HENRY

Has fallen in love with the movie "Cars". It's a blessing and a curse for his parents, a blessing because if we need a few minutes Cars provides that opportunity; a curse because it's nearly always on and getting really annoying.

In a couple weeks Henry will be 2, can you believe it?? He's beginning to act the part too, he's exerting some independence, talking tons, and generally just enjoying life.

If you remember my rants about his sleeping habits it's getting better, but still not fully resolved. Thanks to a return to "Ferber," the cry it out method which suddenly stopped working months ago, Henry is now putting himself to sleep at night again. He is now a much lighter sleeper in the morning, but that's pretty easily resolved too (since Joe leaves early Henry and I usually just sleep together for a couple hours in the morning). I can't be sure exactly what happened a few months ago but I'm glad it's waning.

HEIDI

Hm. Well, it seems like nothing really ever changes that much for me. I'm enjoying the gym again now that Henry's crazy streak has ended. Since returning my legs and arms feel like they're sore all the time, guess the muscles degenerated quickly during my hiatus.

I've spent some time in our garden trying to make it look nice. The patio that Joe created last summer is now encased in flowers (all except the ones that were destroyed during the wind storm last week). I think it looks beautiful - I love colorful flowers!

Lately I've had a lot of people mention that I "get to be a doctor's wife," as if that's some glorious thing. I often think to myself, yeah, that means sharing my husband with lots of sick people when he should be at home with me... which is selfish, I know, but still not glamorous like people seem to think it is. On the other hand, other wives of soon to be doctors, have made it clear to me that there is one important job a doctor's wife must take on - the ego deflater. Joe, I am sure, will need this service far less than most people, but nevertheless on the rare occasion it's necessary I'm here waiting with my proverbial screw driver... now that's glamorous. :)

We hope you're enjoying your summer. We've had a great streak of mini vacations which we (Henry and I) hope to continue over the next few weeks. We're also taking swimming lessons and then soccer lessons (sounds crazy for a 2 year old, but it'll be cute!) in the next couple months. If you have kids, you should join us for any or all of these events, we'd love to see you!

Pic's will follow shortly. I'd love for everyone to see how doctorly Joe looks when he heads out every day and how grown up Henry is. I have a beautiful family.

1 comment:

Kevin & Lindsay said...

Hey there atkin family!! I found your blog through Jen rogers blog. Your family is so cute. Henry is adorable! Where did you get that bedding? It is so cute! Hope all is well, we just ran into the harris family from the old student ward. small world