Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Long Beach

I mentioned in my last post that Joe and I were headed back to Moab. I lied. We decided, at the last minute, to head to a slightly warmer climate. We went to Long Beach for a few days... Joe, Henry & I all needed a change of pace and what we got was the fastest possible pace. You know those vacations that, when their done, you have to go home and recover - it was that kind of vacation. We had a great time!!

Highlights from the trip:


We went to the Aquarium of the Pacific the first day in Long Beach. The aquarium was by far the thing Henry liked the most. He literally ran from tank to tank or display to display to see all the new fish or touch the sting rays, sharks or whatever else was available. I've never seen him so excited. It helps that the Aquarium of the Pacific is awesome. It's nothing like Salt Lake's notoriously crappy aquarium - it has hundreds of huge tanks, fish bigger than me, seals, sharks, and lots of other cool things.



Next day we went to Mexico, TWICE. I'll save my soap box for another post, but let's just say I HATE THE BORDER. Joe and I, due to poor judgement, mostly on my part, missed the last USA exit on the freeway. No big deal except we don't have Mexican car insurance and we were in a rental and I signed away my life swearing not to cross the border. So, as soon as we discovered our malady, we turned around to cross the border again this time back into the USA. We ended up in a special lane reserved for busses and "sentry" guests who were pre-approved to cross the border. Because of this we were treated like enemy combatants, made to wait in stupid lines so they could search our car and treat us like discarded trash, only to push us back into the USA with a warning that they'll confiscate our car if we're in the wrong lane again. I love America. We did end up going back, this time by foot, and had a great time wandering around in Tiajuana.





Disneyland was okay. Henry's still too little to care and we hated the lines which were really long. Once we figured out how to enjoy the park, we had a great time. The Tower of Terror in Calfornia Adventure is by far the best theme park ride ever built.

And, of course, Henry loved the airport. He loved to watch the planes.

2 comments:

Victoria Wilding said...

I am so jealous! It looks like you guys had a blast. I'm excited to try out the aquarium some time. Love the pictures as always.

Chris and Jen said...

Wish we were somewhere warm. Instead we are in Chicago...which is nice because I have never been here, but it is colder than Salt Lake. Love the pics of Henry looking at the fish. I wish I could get that excited about fish.