Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Nostalgia of Food

For me the perfect cure for a cold, crappy, day like today is tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich. I realize that this is not gourmet food, but it's the only food I want when I'm cold or sick or otherwise unhappy. This type of food does not spark any vivid memories, it's more an ingrained sense of comfort. I guess you could say it is nostalgic; you know those songs that take you back to a different time in your life, this food has the same effect for me. My mom always made this for us when we were sick or otherwise unhappy. Now, when I need a cure, need to feel like it's still summer, I choose the grilled cheese and tomato soup to, mentally, take me to the beach. What cures your cold day blues?


Today, while it rained and kind of snowed, I made grilled cheese and tomato soup for Henry and I to eat for lunch. I made it on the homemade bread that I baked yesterday, which is delicious. It's soft, fluffy and has a mildly sweet taste. Here's the link to the recipe I used, it's delicious!! http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Fabulous-Homemade-Bread/Detail.aspx

No comments: